Devotion to the Infant of Prague



Origin Of The Divine Infant Of Prague

A special devotion to the Divine Child originated with the Carmelites in the city of Prague, Bohemia, in the beginning of the seventeenth century. Princess Polyxenia of Lobkowitz had received as a wedding gift from her mother a statue of the Divine Child, previously brought from Spain. After the death of her husband, the princess devoted herself to works of charity and was particularly helpful to the Carmelites in Prague. When in 1628 the Carmelite Monastery had been reduced to poverty, owing to the ravages of war, the princess gave her precious statue to the Carmelites, saying:

"I give you what I prize most highly in the world; honor and respect the Child Jesus and you shall be in want."

Her gift was placed in the Carmelite oratory. The words of the princess proved prophetic for as long as the Carmelites kept up their devotion the Divine Infant of Prague everything prospered with them. The Carmelites were later forced to flee from the city and in the confusion of the war they were unable to take with them their miraculous statue. The invaders seized it and threw it into a pile of rubbish.

In 1635, peace came to Prague and the Carmelites returned. One of them, Father Cyril, who has previously received great spiritual help through his devotion to the infant of Prague, sought the statue and found it amidst the rubbish. Overjoyed, he placed the statue again in the oratory. As Father Cyril was one day praying, devotedly before the statue, he heard a voice saying: "HAVE MERCY ON ME AND I WILL HAVE MERCY ON YOU. RETURN MY HANDS TO ME AND I SHALL GIVE YOU PEACE, THE MORE YOU HONOR ME, THE MORE I SHALL BLESS YOU." Startled by these words, Father Cyril examined the statue and upon drawing aside the mantle covering it, he found that both hands of the statue were broken off. The hands were restored to the statue through the generosity of a devotee of the Divine child. Once more peace and prosperity returned to the Carmelites.

Devotion to the Divine Child had always been practiced by the Carmelites for through their Mother, Mary, this Divine Child had come to the world. St. Theresa of Jesus practiced particular devotion to the Divine Child. St. Therese, the Little Flower, was also a most fervent venerator.

Devotion to the Infant Jesus is another aspect of honoring Christ's Incarnation. It is to marvel at His having humbled Himself by taking on a human nature, subjecting Himself to all that flesh is heir to (minus the effects of original sin, of course), even subjecting Himself to the earthly authority of Mary and Joseph. Recognized even in the Virgin's womb by St. John the Baptist and his mother, after His Nativity, the Child Jesus was adored first by the shepherds and then by the Magi, and has been revered by Saints ever since. Many of the heroes and heroines of our Faith had a special devotion to the Child Jesus, some even having been blessed by visions of Him as a boy. St. Christopher, St.Anthony of Padua, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Rose of Lima, St. Thérèse of Lisieux (whose religious name is "St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face"), St. Francis of Assisi with his creche, and, of course, Our Lady and St. Joseph, are particularly associated with the Divine Child and many are pictured with Jesus as a child in art.

More about the origin of this great devotion:

In Prague, Czech Republic, there is a statue of the Christ Child known as the "Infant of Prague." The statue is Spanish in origin, having ended up in its present country when it was taken there as a wedding gift given to a Spanish woman upon her marriage to a Czech nobleman. It passed down through that family, and was eventually given to the Disalced Carmelites there.

In 1628, the Carmelites had to escape the area when the Saxons, and then the Swedes, attacked. Father Cyril a Matre Dei returned to Prague in 1638 and found the statue lying in what was left of the church, its arms broken. He placed it back in the oratory for veneration and, while praying near it one day, heard the voice of the Infant Jesus say to Him, "Have pity on Me and I will have pity on you. Give Me My hands and I will give you peace. The more you honor Me, the more I will bless you". In that war-torn era, the priest didn't have the money to carry out that wish, so prayed for guidance. He heard the Child Jesus again, "Place Me near the entrance of the sacristy and you will receive aid." And so it happened. Within a few days, a rich man came by and offered to repair the statue.

The statue became known for its association with the miraculous, including healings and, especially, for the protection of the church through so many wars that followed. Many benefits are said to come to those who worship Christ under His title of the "Infant of Prague." There are prayers and novenas to Him under this name.
The Infant of Prague (unrobed)

The statue is around 18½ inches tall and made of wax, possibly with a wooden inner core. The Christ Child holds a globe surmounted by a Cross -- symbolizing His Kingship. His right hand is raised in a blessing, his first two fingers extended to signify His two natures. The statue was not originally dressed (see picture at right to see statue in its original state), but was first crowned by Bernard Ignatius in 1651, and was solemnly coronated by the Bishop of Prague in 1655. Now it is always seen not only crowned (see above), but dressed in regal, priestly robes (the statue has over 85 different robes, including one sent by Empress Mary Theresa). Since 1788, sometimes two rings adorn the statue's fingers, gifts from a noble family in gratitude for the cure of their daughter.

The statue can be seen in the Church of St. Mary the Victorious and St. Anthony of Padua, (in the care of the Discalced Carmelites), Karmelitska 9, 118 00 Praha 1, Czech Republic. Replicas can be bought at many different Catholic gift shops, and the image of the Infant of Prague is often represented two-dimensionally in paintings and on Holy Cards.
on the history of this great devotion.

PRAYERS TO INFANT OF PRAGUE:

"Prayer in Affliction" to the Infant of Prague

O Dearest Jesus tenderly loving us, Thy greatest joy is to dwell among men, and to bestow Thy blessing upon us! Though I am not worthy that Thou shouldst behold me with love, I feel myself drawn to Thee, O dear Infant Jesus, because Thou dost gladly pardon me and exercise Thy almighty power over me. So many, who turned with confidence to Thee, have recieved graces and had their petitions granted. Behold me, in spirit I kneel before Thy miraculous image on Thy altar in Prague, and lay open my heart to Thee, with its prayers, petitions and hopes. My greatest need in particular -- (mention your intentions here) -- I enclose it in Thy loving Heart.

Govern me, and do with me and mine, according to Thy holy will, for I know that in Thy Divine wisdom and love Thou wilt ordain everything for the best. Almighty, gracious Infant Jesus, do not withdraw Thy hand from us, but protect and bless us forever. I pray Thee, sweetest Infant, in the name of Thy Blessed Mother Mary who cared for Thee with such tenderness, and by the great reverence with which Saint Joseph carried Thee in his arms, comfort me and make me happy that I may bless and thank Thee forever from all my heart Amen.


Act of Thanksgiving to the Infant Jesus


O most gracious Infant Jesus, prostate before Thee, I offer Thee most fervent thanks for the blessings Thou hast bestowed upon me. I shall incessantly praise Thine ineffable mercy and confess that Thou alone art my God, my helper, and my protector. Henceforth, my entire confidence shall be placed in Thee, everywhere will I proclaim Thy mercy and generosity, so that Thy great love and great deeds which Thou preformest may be acknowledged by all. May devotion to Thy holy infancy extend more and more in the hearts of all Christians, and may all who experience Thy assistance persevere in returning unceasing gratitude to Thy most holy Infancy to which be praise and glory for all eternity Amen.


Novena to the Infant of Prague

Say once an nour for nine hours on one single day

O Jesus, Who has said ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you, through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother, I knock, I seek and I ask that my prayer may be granted.

(Mention your intentions here)

O Jesus, Who has said all that you ask of the Father in My Name, He will will grant you, through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother, I humbly and urgently ask Thy Father in Thy Name, that my prayer be granted.

(Mention your intentions here)

O Jesus, Who has said "Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but My word shall not pass", through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother, I feel confident that my prayer will be granted.

(Mention your intentions here)