Devotions and Prayers with Partial Indulgences

 Hidden God (Adoro te devote)

(A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who recite devoutly the above hymn).

Hidden God, devoutly I adore you,
Truly present underneath these veils:
All my heart subdues itself before you,
Since it all before you faints and fails.

Not to sight, or taste, or touch be credit,
Hearing only do we trust secure;
I believe, for God the Son has said it --
Word of Truth that ever shall endure.

On the cross was veiled your Godhead's splendor,
Here your manhood lies hidden too;
Unto both alike my faith I render,
And, as sued the contrite thief, I sue.

Though I look not on your wounds with Thomas,
You, my Lord, and you, my God, I call:
Make me more and more believe your promise,
Hope in you, and love you over all.

O memorial of my Savior dying,
Living Bread, that gives life to man;
Make my soul, its life from you supplying,
Taste your sweetness, as on earth it can.

Deign, O Jesus, Pelican of heaven,
Me, a sinner, in your Blood to lave,
To a single drop of which is given
All the world from all its sin to save.

Contemplating, Lord, your hidden presence,
Grant me what I thirst for and implore,
In the revelation of your essence
To behold your glory evermore.


Act of Spiritual Communion (Communionis spiritualis actus)

An Act of Spiritual Communion, according to any pious formula, is enriched with a partial indulgence.
An Act of Spiritual Communion
My Jesus, I believe that you are in the Blessed Sacrament. I love you above all things, and I long for you in my soul. Since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though you have already come, I embrace you and unite myself entirely to you; never permit me to be separated from you.

Magnificat (Magnificat)

(A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who piously recite the canticle of the Magnificat.)
My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior;
Because he has regarded the lowliness of his handmaid;
for, behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed;

Because he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name;
And his mercy is from generation to generation
on those who fear him.

He has shown might with his arm,
he has scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and has exalted the lowly.

He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has given help to Israel, his servant,
mindful of his mercy --
Even as he spoke to our fathers --
to Abraham and to his posterity forever.


Hail, Holy Queen (Salve, Regina)

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy; hail our life, our sweetness and our hope. To you do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To you do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious Advocate, your eyes of mercy toward us. And after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. (Roman Breviary) partial indulgence

Exercise of the Way of the Cross (Viae Crucis exercitium)

A plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful, who make the pious exercise of the Way of the Cross.
In the pious exercise of the Way of the Cross we recall anew the sufferings, which the divine Redeemer endured, while going from the praetorium of Pilate, where he was condemned to death, to the mount of Calvary, where he died on the cross for our salvation.
The gaining of the plenary indulgence is regulated by the following norms:
  1. The pious exercise must be made before stations of the Way of the Cross legitimately erected.
  2. For the erection of the Way of the Cross fourteen crosses are required, to which it is customary to add fourteen pictures or images, which represent the stations of Jerusalem.
  3. According to the more common practice, the pious exercise consists of fourteen pious readings, to which some vocal prayers are added. However, nothing more is required than a pious meditation on the Passion and Death of the Lord, which need not be a particular consideration of the individual mysteries of the stations.
  4. A movement from one station to the next is required.
But if the pious exercise is made publicly and if it is not possible for all taking part to go in an orderly way from station to station, it suffices if at least the one conducting the exercise goes from station to station, the others remaining in their place.
Those who are "impeded" can gain the same indulgence, if they spend at least one half an hour in pious reading and meditation on the Passion and Death of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For those belonging to Oriental rites, amongst whom this pious exercise is not practiced, the respective Patriarchs can determine some other pious exercise in memory of the Passion and Death of our Lord Jesus Christ for the gaining of this indulgence.

The Stations of the Cross

1. Jesus is condemned to death
2. Jesus bears his cross
3. Jesus falls the first time
4. Jesus meets his mother
5. Jesus is helped by Simon
6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
7. Jesus falls a second time
8. Jesus speaks to the women
9. Jesus falls a third time
10. Jesus is stripped of his garments
11. Jesus is nailed to the Cross
12. Jesus dies on the Cross
13. Jesus is taken down from the Cross
14. Jesus is placed in the tomb

Let us pray for our Sovereign Pontiff (Oremus pro Pontifice)



  • V. Let us pray for our Sovereign Pontiff N.



  • R. The Lord preserve him and give him life, and make him blessed upon the earth, and deliver him not up to the will of his enemies. (Roman Breviary)



  • partial indulgence

    Eternal Rest (Requiem aeternam)

    Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. (Roman Breviary) partial indulgence, applicable only to the souls in purgatory. 

    Renewal of Baptismal Promises (Votorum baptismalium renovatio)

    A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who renew their baptismal promises according to formula in use ; but
    a plenary indulgence is granted, if this is done
    • in the celebration of the Paschal Vigil or
    • on the anniversary of one's baptism.

    Renewal of Baptismal Promises

    I, N. N., who through the tender mercy of the Eternal Father was privileged to be baptized "in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Acts 19, 5) and thus to share in the dignity of his divine Sonship, wish now in the presence of this same loving Father and of his only-begotten Son to renew in all sincerity the promises I solemnly made at the time of my holy Baptism.
    I, therefore, now do once again renounce Satan; I renounce all his works; I renounce all his allurements.
    I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born into this world and who suffered and died for my sins and rose again. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
    Having been buried with Christ unto death and raised up with him unto a new life, I promise to live no longer for myself or for that world which is the enemy of God but for him who died for me and rose again, serving God, my heavenly Father, faithfully and unto death in the holy Catholic Church.
    Taught by our Savior's command and formed by the word of God, I now dare to say:
    Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

    Come, Holy Ghost (Veni, Sancte Spiritus)

    Come, Holy Ghost, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love. (Roman Missal)
    partial indulgence

    Come, Holy Ghost, Creator blest (Veni, Creator) 

    (A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who devoutly recite the hymn Come, Holy Spirit, Creator blest.A plenary indulgence is granted, if the hymn is recited publicly on the 1st of January and on the feast of Pentecost.)

    Come, Holy Spirit, Creator blest,
    And in our souls take up your rest;
    Come with your grace and heavenly aid
    To fill the hearts which you have made.

    O Comforter, to you we cry,
    O heavenly gift of God Most High,
    O fount of life and fire of love,
    And sweet anointing from above.

    You in your sevenfold gifts are known;
    You, finger of God's hand we own;
    You, promise of the Father, you
    Who do the tongue with power imbue.

    Kindle our senses from above,
    And make our hearts o'erflow with love;
    With patience firm and virtue high
    The weakness of our flesh supply.

    Far from us drive the foe we dread,
    And grant us your peace instead;
    So shall we not, with you for guide,
    Turn from the path of life aside.

    Oh, may your grace on us bestow
    The Father and the Son to know;
    And you, through endless times confessed,
    Of both the eternal Spirit blest.

    Now to the Father and the Son,
    Who rose from death, be glory given,
    With you, O holy Comforter,
    Henceforth by all in earth and heaven. Amen.


    Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament (Adoratio Sami Sacramenti)

    A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who visit the Most Blessed Sacrament to adore it; a plenary indulgence is granted, if the visit lasts for at least one half an hour.

    Down in adoration falling (Tantum ergo) 

    (A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who devoutly recite the above strophes. But
    a plenary indulgence is granted on Holy Thursday and on the feast of Corpus Christi.)

    Down in adoration falling,
    Lo! the sacred Host we hail;
    Lo! o'er ancient forms departing,
    Newer rites of grace prevail;
    Faith for all defects supplying,
    Where the feeble senses fail.
    
    To the everlasting Father,
    And the Son who reigns on high,
    With the Holy Spirit proceeding
    Forth from each eternally,
    Be salvation, honor, blessing,
    Might and endless majesty. Amen.
    
    V. You have given them bread from heaven,
    R. Having all sweetness within it.
    Let us pray. O God, who in this wonderful Sacrament left us a memorial of your Passion: grant, we implore you, that we may so venerate the sacred mysteries of your Body and Blood, as always to be conscious of the fruit of your Redemption. You who live and reign forever and ever. Amen. (Roman Breviary)


    Recitation of the Holy Rosary 

    A plenary indulgence is granted, if the Rosary is recited in a church or public oratory or in a family group, a religious Community or pious Association; a partial indulgence is granted in other circumstances.

    "Now the Rosary is a certain formula of prayer, which is made up of fifteen decades of "Hail Marys" with an "Our Father" before each decade, and in which the recitation of each decade is accompanied by pious meditation on a particular mystery of our Redemption." (Roman Breviary)
    The name "Rosary," however, is commonly used in reference to only a third part of the fifteen decades.
    The gaining of the plenary indulgence is regulated by the following norms:
    1. The recitation of a third part only of the Rosary suffices; but the five decades must be recited continuously.
    2. The vocal recitation must be accompanied by pious meditation on the mysteries.
    3. In public recitation the mysteries must be announced in the manner customary in the place; for private recitation, however, it suffices if the vocal recitation is accompanied by meditation on the mysteries.
    4. For those belonging to the Oriental rites, amongst whom this devotion is not practiced, the Patriarchs can determine some other prayers in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary (for those of the Byzantine rite, for example, the Hymn "Akathistos" or the Office "Paraclisis"); to the prayers thus determined are accorded the same indulgences as for the Rosary

    Have mercy on me (Miserere)

    A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who with repentant heart recite the psalm Have mercy on me (Ps 50)


    Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
    in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
    Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
    and of my sin cleanse me.
    
    For I acknowledge my offense,
    and my sin is before me always:
    "Against you only have I sinned,
    and done what is evil in your sight,"
    
    That you may be justified in your sentence,
    vindicated when you condemn.
    Indeed, in guilt was I born,
    and in sin my mother conceived me;
    
    Behold, you are pleased with sincerity of heart,
    and in my inmost being you teach me wisdom.
    Cleanse me of sin with hyssop, that I may be purified;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    
    Let me hear the sounds of joy and gladness;
    the bones you have crushed shall rejoice.
    Turn away your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my guilt.
    
    A clean heart create for me, O God, a
    nd a steadfast spirit renew within me.
    Cast me not out from your presence,
    and your holy spirit take not from me.
    
    Give me back the joy of your salvation,
    and a willing spirit sustain in me.
    I will teach transgressors your ways,
    and sinners shall return to you.
    
    Free me from blood guilt, O Lord, my saving God;
    then my tongue shall revel in your justice.
    O Lord, open my lips,
    and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
    
    For you are not pleased with sacrifices;
    should I offer a holocaust, you would not accept it.
    My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
    a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
    
    Be bountiful, O Lord, to Sion in your kindness
    by rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem;
    Then shall you be pleased with due sacrifices,
    burnt offerings and holocausts; then shall they offer up bullocks on your altar.